Take medium sized potatoes unpeeled and boil them in a pressure cooker- 2 whistles. You have to be careful that u don’t over boil so that the potatoes are semi boiled and doesn’t crumble while preparing.
2. Peel the potatoes and using a sewing needle pass it through each potato. In this process each potato shall have 4-5 holes. Be careful not to crumble the potatoes.
3. Deep fry the potatoes in a kadhai. Use mustard oil for frying
4. For the curry heat mustard oil meanwhile in a oakhli grind Badi Illaichi 3-4, Cloves 2-3 and add to the oil. Also add 3-4 Tej pata, As the ground spices start making a popping sound . Turn the flame off and add Red Mirch 1-2 table spoon, Saunf powder 1-2 tablespoons, Ginger powder 1 table spoon and stir.
You will see the oil turning Red, this will help in the curry getting a dark red color. Add 1 tablespoon of curd and stir, this would help in thickening of the gravy later.
Add Salt according to proportion.
Turn the flame on and add water to this red chili paste. Now add the already deep fried potatoes and let it boil.
5. Let it simmer so that water is reduced and the potatoes absorb the spices thoroughly.
6. Check on the preparation if the color appears less red, then in a different pan again heat some oil add red mirch and saunf powder and add it to the cooking potatoes. Please note this step is optional and is required if the dumaloo doesn’t look as red as you would like.
7. Cook the potatoes till the point it looks like the potatoes have absorbed the spices and there is sufficient curry.
8. Set aside for a while. Dumaloo is ready can be served with rice.
Courtesy: Swati Saraf